As a learner driver you are not allowed by law to drive on a motorway. The thought of driving on a motorway can therefore cause a lot of fear. However motorways are statistically the safest roads and are an important part of driving. With the help of our fully qualified instructors we can help you gain confidence to feel ready for the challenge of motorway driving. On a motorway driving lesson we will cover the following areas with you:
- Joining the motorway - By far the most common way to join the motorway is by use of a slip road, much in the same way as a dual carriageway. We'll make sure that you feel confident accelerating to the correct speed and using the right procedures to join the motorway safely.
- Driving on the motorway - On this part of the lesson we will cover how to safely drive on motorways that have 2 lanes all the way up to multiple lane motorways, making sure you understand the rules and regulations that apply.
- Overtaking - Overtaking is a big part of motorway driving and one the you need to feel confident in. Your instructor will make sure you understand the correct procedures, including mirror and blind spot checks, so that you have the necessary skills to complete safe overtaking manoeuvres.
- Leaving the motorway - Leaving the motorway you will need to be able to safely negotiate the slip road off, along with being able to read and understand the signs that give you information on where your exit will be. We'll run through all of this with you so you feel happy with this aspect of motorway driving.
- Other motorway skills - This will include other vehicles joining the motorway, motorway interchanges, breakdowns and emergencies, the various motorway signs, reflective studs and the hard shoulder.
Our motorway lessons last for a minimum of 2 hours and sometimes will be for 3 hours depending on location and the length of time it takes to reach a motorway and to give you the most benefit possible from the lesson. If you would like to book a motorway lesson with one of our experienced instructors, please visit our contact page.